CA End of Life Option Act
Derek Humphry's List Serv
We are an
No funds go to salaries.
The Hemlock Society of San Diego is a 30 year old 501 (c)(3), not for profit, volunteer, educational organization. Our mission is to provide education to the San Diego community about all end of life choices. We believe that people should be able to die consistent with their own beliefs and values and with proper, current information. We are funded by private donations and membership fees which are tax deductible. Legacies are welcome and should be directed to the Hemlock Society of San Diego.
The Mission of the Hemlock Society of San Diego
What We Do
Choice, dignity and control at the end of life
At Hemlock Society of San Diego, we strive to:
- Educate the San Diego community about end of life choices with public meetings six times a year, We have heard from Derek Humphry, author of Final Exit; from Neal Nicol, biographer of Jack Kevorkian; from Dick Mac Donald MD, Medical Advisor, Final Exit Network and many more.
- Support options for a humane, self-determined death by contributing to campaigns for law reform, legal defense, and the World Federation of Right to Die Societies.
- Publish newsletter with information about developments worldwide six times a year.
- Bring like-minded people together to discuss end-of-life choices.
- Provide resource information such as international books, pamphlets, DVDs.
- Provide speakers on the end of life choices to community organizations.
- We are proud members of the World Federation of Right to Die Societies.
What We Believe
LIBERTY AND DEATH
A Manifesto Concerning an Individualís Right to Choose to Die
By Derek Humphry, founder of the Hemlock Society
In a spirit of compassion for all, this manifesto proclaims that every competent adult has the incontestable right to humankindís ultimate civil and personal liberty -- the right to die in a manner and at a time of their own choosing.
Suicide no longer being a crime, it is unacceptable to prosecute well-meaning people for assisting a suicide.
Medically hastened death by request should be made lawful as it is now in the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and the American states of California, Oregon, Washington, Vermont, Colorado and Montana (each has different rules), as well as Washington, D.C.
Views on the dying process contrary to those expressed in this manifesto are respected, but must not trump the autonomy of the dying personís own decisions.
Our All-Volunteer Board
- Faye Girsh -- President, Programs and Newsletter Editor
- Mits Tomita -- Programs, Medical Director
- Pat Fisher -- Secretary, Webmaster
- Wil Wakely -- Audio/Visual, Database Guru
- Kerry Perkins -- Member-at-Large
- Ken Watson -- Videographer
- Elizabeth Semenova -- Member-at-Large
If you are interested in attending a HSSD Board meeting please call 619-233-4418 or send an email to HemlockSanDiego@gmail.com. Make sure to let us know how to reach you.
To reach us, please click the Contact Us link to the left.
Programs and activities of the Hemlock Society of San Diego (HSSD) are made possible by your membership dues and the generous donations of members and friends. Donations and memberships (tax deductible) can be sent to: HSSD, PO Box 34237, San Diego CA 92163.
Use PayPal for donations (any amount):
Donations of $100 or more will be acknowledged in our newsletter. Please let us know if you do not want to be acknowledged in the newsletter.
Include the Hemlock Society of San Diego in your Will or Living Trust. Our tax ID # is: 33-0467982 .